Pages

Sophie Kinsella - Remember me?


Publisher: Random House

ISBN: 9780552772761

My Rating: 3.5/5

Lexi wakes up in a hospital bed after a car accident, thinking it's 2004 and she's a twenty-five-year old with crooked teeth and a disastrous love life. But, to her disbelief, she learns it's actually 2007 - she's twenty-eight, her teeth are straight, she's the boss of her department - and she's married! To a good-looking millionaire! How on earth did she land the dream life? She can't believe her luck - especially when she sees her stunning new home. She's sure she'll have a fantastic marriage once she gets to know her husband again. He's drawn up a 'manual of our marriage', which should help. But as she learns more about her new self, chinks start to appear in the perfect life. All her old colleagues hate her. A rival is after her job. Then a dishevelled, sexy guy turns up...and lands a new bombshell. What the **** happened to her? Will she ever remember? And what will happen if she does?

My thoughts

My first book I've read by Sophie Kinsella and I have to admit it was more a coincidence that I got to read the book.

Lexi is on a night out with her friends when she has a fall. She wakes up in a hospital thinking that it is still 2004: going out with Loser Dave, having crooked teeth, loads of friends and works in a low paid job in a carpet company. Yet it is in fact 2007: she's married to a gorgeous multi-millionaire, lives in a penthouse overlooking the Thames and is now a Director in the same company - and she has perfect teeth! But Lexi can't remember a thing about how she got to her life now.

It took a while until I got used to Kinsella's writing style. The initial idea with the amnesia sounds great, even though a bit "over used". It's a good book, and I have to say that even as a slow reader it "only" took me a few days to finish it. Yet, personally, I felt it somehow lacked a bit of spark - I found the amount of repetitions quite "distracting" after a while and I was a bit disappointed by the ending. It kind of left me wondering whether Kinsella was in a hurry to just end it.

Having said all this, I still believe Remember me? is a wonderful easy-going story for the beach or your holidays. I have heard from a few people now, that this book is not necessarily Kinsella's best effort, so I will give another one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment