Pages

May I introduce - Aussie Author LILY MALONE


It's an absolute delight to welcome Lily Malone to my blog today.

I've only recently read her book "The Goodbye Ride" and can honestly say it's been one of the best reads this year. It tackles issues of today's society with subtlety and wit, without losing the sincerity of her words. And yes, I have learnt a bit more Aussie slang!

PS - And doesn't she look great with that pink beanie !

Casual comment cuts too close to the bone

 
A few weeks ago in Australia there was an outcry over an alleged comment made by a 13-year-old girl to one of our country’s star Australian Rules’ football players, Adam Goodes, during a game between Sydney Swans and Colllingwood. The girl was in the crowd. The news stories I’ve seen reported that she called Goodes an ‘Ape’...

Adam Goodes is an Indigenous (Aboriginal) player, and one of the most decorated footballers in the history of the game, winning two Brownlow medals. (For any international readers, it is the equivalent of being named MVP in the National Basketball League...)

This incident has been on my mind in recent weeks because of the term that arose out of it: ‘Casual Racism’, and because of a scene in my new novella, The Goodbye Ride.

As I understand it, ‘casual racism’ infers: that people have grown so accustomed to racist/discriminatory language in everyday life; at school, at barbecues, in shopping centres, on sporting grounds, in our homes; that they no longer consider the use of these words as being actively racist (or sexist or whatever). People using these terms don’t consider them to be deliberately offensive, and/or don’t recognise how hurtful they are to the marginalised people/person.

You might remember a few years back, when golden girl swimmer, Stephanie Rice, sent a tweet after a winning Wallabies’ rugby game along the line of “suck on that faggots”. That caused similar outrage at the time.

Why do I raise this on Iris Blobel’s blog? (You won’t ask me back again will you Iris!?)

Well... Iris invited me to write about my new novella The Goodbye Ride, and, seeing as Iris is one of my football-loving writer mates (have you been following her AFL TuesdayTales?) it seemed like a great opportunity to kick this thought around (pardon the pun).

The Goodbye Ride has a scene where a secondary character (Mark) is watching an AFL game on football. Like thousands of AFL fans, Mark gets rather passionate watching his team, and when his team is losing, he also gets abusive.

My husband said to me (after he read The Goodbye Ride) “I don’t sound like that when I’m watching the Adelaide Crows, do I?”

“No dear...” I fobbed him off... but the truth is - yes - my hubby does yell at the television during football games, when the Crows play badly he’s like a bear with a sore head. I don’t think he’d use the term ‘playing like a bunch of faggots’ but he might say “you’re tackling like a girl”... which in its own way is just as bad! Give me long enough to dwell on that and I might get offended...

This is an excerpt:

“Aw fuck, Crows!” The shout erupted from the hall, making Liv jump. The football game volume cranked up a notch.
Owen’s gaze never wavered from hers. “Sorry about Mark. He’s a mad Crows’ fan. You were saying?”
“The day my brother died–”
“Christ! Tackle like you mean it Crows. You’re playing like a bunch of faggots!” Mark roared.
Liv pushed her plate across the table hard enough to make Owen thrust out his hand to stop it bull-dozing his juice. Her half-eaten sandwich bumped and skidded off the plate and she was on her feet, hands balled into fists.
From the hall, the television coverage cut to the upbeat jingle of a burger chain advert.
“I hate the word faggots,” she said.
“Mark doesn’t mean anything by it.”
Liv’s chin came up. “The minority get heard when the majority stay silent, Owen. It happens all over the world. It happens every second of every day.”
 
And this is another side to ‘casual racism’. People are so accustomed to the use of this language, they excuse those who use it (like Owen does in The Goodbye Ride) with “he didn’t mean anything by it.”

I didn’t mean to make the character of Mark deliberately sexist or racist. I did set out to make him a typical 20-something country Aussie bloke in a football-mad part of Australia... and I used him to counterpoint a more sensitive side to Owen.

But Mark was so easy for me to write! What does that say about me and the people I hang out with? Is it characterisation by osmosis?

In the book, Olivia reacts to Mark’s use of the word ‘faggot’ and calls him out. Would I do that? Would you?

Since the football incident, I’ve felt like there’s a social comment in The Goodbye Ride that I never intended to make. A casual social comment if you like.

Have you had a writing moment like that?

 

You can find out more about Lily Malone on her Facebook page,

or at her blog,

Or at twitter, @lily_lilymalone

 
The Goodbye Ride is available exclusively at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/The-Goodbye-Ride-ebook/dp/B00CV2MGCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371348141&sr=8-1&keywords=lily+malone+-+the+goodbye+ride

 





Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes these unintended but totally realistic characterisations become key to the overall theme, even though we don't always set out to write them like that. Good writers (and you belong in this category, Lily) observe and then serve us up a slice of life. And sometimes that slice reveals our society with all its flaws. It's all part of writing great characters and a great story. What you did with Mark was honest and realistic and part of why I loved this story so much. No whitewash, but a mirror to our society.

    Can't wait for your next book, Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know in being an Australian Author, I was just waiting for someone Irish to tan my hide for some of the Irish stereotypes I use in my novel. Most of the time, I was using the stereotypes to take the micky out of those who believed them. But I did worry about it. I think all writers need to be cautious when you write about another country/culture. And understand that you need to be wise in your choices of what might just be comic relief. :)
    Great post Lily!
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susanne & Whitney for visiting.
    Cheers
    Lily M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only echo Lily's words ... thanks for stopping by Susanne & Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lily! Mark swore in your book?? I'll have to have a word with him about that :)He might have to pay in to TJ's swear jar!

    Your take on things always spins me out (in a good way). That's why I love your books. They're stories about 'real' people, with 'real' issues and what makes them brilliant and my particular brand of beautiful, is the authenticity of your writing and how you handle situations like this with skill and sincerity.

    Love your work, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Juanita.
      Nope. That's it. Can't say nothing else.
      Just.
      Gosh!

      Lily M
      xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Lily and Iris,
    This is a great post, Lily. This casual racism is something I only noticed when I changed jobs and worked in an Aboriginal organisation, in a country town. A lot of people use derogatory language just in normal conversation without thinking. I'm sure they aren't deliberately trying to be hurtful (like your Mark), they just say the usual slang that comes easily to mind. I have many instances where I cringed rather than call them out on it like Olivia did. I wish sometimes I had the guts to call them out but often I thought it would make the situation worse.

    Thanks for a thought provoking post.

    Cate xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. When Cate Ellink says I've written a "thought-provoking" post... I am going to sit up and listen! This from a lady who makes the most thought-provoking posts you've ever seen, every Friday, (without fail) on her blog. www.cateellink.com people - it's magic (and a bit spooky for anyone with a tame sex life) but lots of fun.

    Thanks for visiting Cate.
    Lily M
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for stopping by ... AND thanks Lily for being my guest. Of course, I have you back any time. :-) How can I say no to someone with a pink beanie like that ;-)

    ReplyDelete