Pages

Gemma Halliday - Uncover in High Heels

Publisher: Dorchester Publishing Co

ISBN: 978 0 8439 5834 8

My rating: 1 / 5



Secret affairs, hunky gardeners, and housewives desperate enough to bare it all... welcome to Magnolia Lane, TV's hottest new prime time show. A place where L.A. shoe designer Maddie Springer should be in fashion heaven. That is until the body of a rising young starlet is found dead on the show's set. Now it's up to Maddie to sift through a leading lady with a secret, an actor on the verge of a nervous breakdown, a sexy cyber scandal, and one tabloid reporter who'll stop at nothing to get the story of the century. Not to mention Maddie's hot-cold relationship with the case's familiar lead detective, Jack Ramirez. In a world where secrets, lies, and deception can earn you an Oscar, Maddie plays the role of a lifetime to catch Hollywood's hottest killer. But if she doesn't watch her step, Maddie's fifteen minutes of fame just may be her last.  (http://www.gemmahalliday.com/)

My thoughts

The thing is: I should have stopped reading after the first ten pages - Maddie's "boyfriend" police cop Ramirez cancelled their date because of other committments. The thought that Ramirez has other committments in a pick-up bar really doesn't sit well with Maddie so she's off to "spy" on him. So far so good - BUT not only does she blow up the undercover work, no she was then on a mission to help out Ramirez, who got demoted to bodyguard to the celebrities, to get back to homicide.

I took me more than a month to get through this book. Admittingly some of the annoying habits Gemma had in the first two books are well and truly under control (the number thing of the motorways and the mention of "for good measure"), but Maddie is just a character I cannot warm to and the story was a drag for me, especially as I had figured out the "whodunnit" half way through.

I still have another two books from this series on my desk, but I'm still arguing with myself to just simply not finish the series ....

My verdict - don't bother !

No comments:

Post a Comment