Pages

Cherry Adair - Hush

Publisher: Pocket Star

ISBN-13: 978-1439153826

My rating: 3/5


A reckless adventure in a deadly paradise.
Thrill seekers Zakary and Gideon Stark travel the globe in search of extreme adventure, but a trip to Venezuela to jump off the world’s highest falls catapults them into a perilous game of life or death—where they don’t know the rules.
A one-night stand that will change his life forever.
Kidnapped with a woman Zak knows nothing about, the brothers are held prisoner deep in the jungle. A risky, deathdefying escape separates them and nearly claims Zak’s life . . . until his recovery reveals a baffling new sixth sense.
An unexpected diversion with lethal consequences.
Now, to find his missing brother, Zak and the mysterious Acadia Gray will have to out-smart, out-gun, and out-maneuver not just the brutal kidnappers but also a new player who joins the adrenaline game: a ruthless opponent who wants the Stark brothers dead—at any cost. (fromt he back of the cover)


My thoughts

Wow! This was a great read. It sucks you in from the very beginning and has you on the edge of your seat literally right through to the end.

This was my first book by Cherry Adair, and I'm really grateful to my friend for recommending it to me. It's the first book in the Lodestone trilogy, so I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

It's all about a kidnapping of brothers Zakary and Gideon Stark - plus Zak's one night stand Acadia. The romance-adventure idea really appealed to me and I couldn't put the book down. A page turner!
The two main characters are great. Zak ignorant, arrogant and macho, but learning from Acadia that life can be enjoyable again. Acadia is very likable, in fact real. She's a small town girl, who after a win in the Lotto, travels to Venezuela to step out of her comfort zone from daily life. It's a massive step outside as she's stuck with the two brothers in the jungle running from their kidnappers.She conquers big and small challenges with instinct and flair. I really liked her!

Why only 3 stars??

There's a lot, A LOT of F-words, some may say that's how people talk nowadays, that maybe so, but I find that doesn't necessarily mean a book needs to emphasise the apparent need for it. There isn't one!

Also - Acadia's jacket! Now I am aware this is a fiction and I should give a little leanway, but when she got out a tent out of her pocket I was like "No way!". That was a bit of a turn off for me because it was edging on the "ridiculous" part.

Not really a reason for the 3 stars, but readers should be aware, there are some nice and steamy sex scenes in that book. Not necessarily for everyone!

Lastly (and nothing to do with the rating) - There are a view readers who mentioned the "sixth sense" Zak acquires after his death experience. I kinda liked it. For me it was probably more believable than the "jacket scenario". It's subtle and fits into the story.

All in all - great read (except the few points above) and I'd fully recommend it. I know I will go over the bookstore and will check out a few more of Cherry Adair's books.

1 comment:

  1. reply from Cherry Adair via email ... she's such a star !
    "Great review, thanks Iris. And as for her jacket - I have to tell you, that's what I *wanted* to happen in the story. But I thought – Hold it! Way unbelievable (even for me lol). But I wanted her to have all that stuff on her… So I bought that jacket and those pants, AND all that ridiculously expensive (and never to be used by me, ever!!) equipment! lol It all fit, I promise. Now, could I interest you in a barely worn jacket? How about a teeny tiny tent?
    Cheers
    Cherry
    "

    ReplyDelete