Pages

Review: Robyn Carr "The Wanderer" (Thunder Point #1)

Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
ISBN: 9780778314479
My rating: 4/5
 
Nestled on the Oregon coast is a small town of rocky beaches and rugged charm. Locals love the land's unspoiled beauty. Developers see it as a potential gold mine. When newcomer Hank Cooper learns he's been left an old friend's entire beachfront property, he finds himself with a community's destiny in his hands.

Cooper has never been a man to settle in one place, and Thunder Point was supposed to be just another quick stop. But Cooper finds himself getting involved with the town. And with Sarah Dupre, a woman as complicated as she is beautiful.

With the whole town watching for his next move, Cooper has to choose between his old life and a place full of new possibilities. A place that just might be home.
 
 
My thoughts
 
The main reason why I picked up the book was the location - Oregon. Since my visit there last year, it's been one of my favourite travel destinations.
 
Hank Cooper's old friend Ben's left him a beachfront property in Thunder Point, a small remote community on the Oregon coast. While he tries to find out what happened to his friend and fixes up the old run-down bar shack, he gets involved in the life of the community... and meets Sarah Dupre, a helicopter pilot raising her brother.
 
I loved the book, the characters were quirky, laid back and "real". Although commitment shy, Cooper was the guy of dreams. I loved his humour, and his ability to be serious when he needed to be. Sarah only appears in the story about half way through the book, and I have to admit it took me a little bit to warm up to her... once finding out about the reasons, I understood, and liked how the character was developed.
 
Having said all that, there were pages and pages of dialogue, and the introduction of characters (I assume for future Thunder Point books) where I felt it was too long.
 
Definitely want to read the next Thunder Point #2, which tells Roger "Mac" McCain and Gina's story.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment