Pages

May I introduce: Patricia Kiyono & Stephanie Michels "The Friendship Star Quilt"

 

The Friendship Star Quilt
by Patricia Kiyono & Stephanie Michels
 
 
 
It's an absolute pleasure to have Patricia and Stephanie as my guest today. With the title "The Friendship Star Quilt", the obvious question was whether they quilt as well.
 
1 – Quilting is still popular here in Australia. Do you ladies quilt?
Patricia: Every other week I sew quilts with a group of ladies at my church. Once in a while I'll sew quilts for members of my family.
Stephanie: I don't make quilts, but I collect them. I have one old one from my grandmother that is almost 100 years old, and several others I've picked up over the years. I do sew and used to make a lot of my own clothes. Now, however, my crafts of choice are crochet and knitting. They're more portable for me. 
 
2 – How did you come up with the story and how do you work together?
Patricia: I came up with a basic story line for Anne, and Stephanie fleshed it out.
Stephanie: When Patty first talked about the series, we sat down and created a large group of quilters to populate the the quilt shop. Then we gave them families and possible story lines. We're constantly adding new characters and plots. 
 
3 – Will there be another Michaels/Kiyono collaboration?
Patricia: We're working on more Stitching Post stories!
Stephanie: Maybe not co-authored as such, but there will be more stories. I'm working on a Christmas one featuring one of my favorite characters in the quilt shop, and Patty is working on a story line that is dear to her heart.  
 

 

Blurb:

Anne Brown loves her job at The Stitching Post Quilt Shop in Grandville, Michigan, but she keeps a suitcase packed so she can leave at a moment's notice. Living under the radar, she longs for a normal life, but settles for listening to family stories told by the friendly la-dies of the quilting club who meet at the shop on Tuesday evenings. When she meets Brad, the handsome band director of an area high school and his adorable daughter, Anne begins to hope for a happily ever after of her own. But someone has far different plans.

Brad Carmichael is juggling the demands of his job as band director at Rivertown High School with trying to be a better father to his daughter. When Brad is late picking Jennie up from a birthday party, the pretty young clerk from the local quilt shop comes to his res-cue. Kind-hearted and talented, Anne becomes a vital part of Brad and Jennie’s lives. But her past threatens to destroy their relationship.

 
 
 

Authors:

Stephanie Michels -

Stephanie Michels considers herself a “Jill of All Trades.” During her corporate career, she worked as a computer trainer, advertising copywriter, personnel agent, radio DJ, magazine columnist, and a financial planner among other things.  She recently left those behind in order to focus on writing full time.
Raised in Michigan, she lived in South Carolina, Missouri, and Germany, before returning to the Mitten State to raise her family.  When she isn’t writing, you can usually find her reading or spending time with family, friends, and Beta Sigma Phi sisters.
The Friendship Star Quilt is her second novel with writing partner, Patricia Kiyono.



Patricia Kiyono -

 Patricia Kiyono retired from public school teaching, and is now an adjunct faculty member at Grand Valley State University, where she instructs future teachers. Born in Japan, she lives in southwest Michigan with her husband, not far from their five children and nine grandchildren. In addition to writing, she enjoys sewing, scrapbooking, playing in local bands and orchestras, and taking care of grandchildren.

 

Stephanie Michels:

Blog - www.StephanieMichelsAuthor.com

Facebook - www.facebook.com/StephanieMichelsAuthor

twitter - @SMichelsAuthor


Patricia Kiyono:

Website - http://patriciakiyono.com

Blog - http://creative-hodgepodge.blogspot.com

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patricia-Kiyono/149294485148710

Twitter - @PatriciaKiyono

 
 
Purchase Links:

The Friendship Star Quilt is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords, as well as other ebook outlets.

 

Excerpt:

few minutes later, an early model sedan raced into a parking space in front of the shop, and skidded to a halt. The driver’s side opened, and a tall man in a blue windbreaker jumped out. His dark hair practically stood on end, as if he’d been running worried fingers through it. He glanced around, spotted the shop, and hurried toward it. Without a word, he rushed to Jennie’s side and scooped her up in a tight embrace.

“Jennie, I am so, so sorry! I knew the party was over at five-thirty. I should have set the alarm on my phone. I’m so sorry you had to wait for me.”

“It’s okay, Daddy. This lady said it was okay for me to wait in here for you because the ice cream man turned the lights off and said I had to leave.”

“He what? Why would he do such a thing to you? Especially when it’s raining! I ought to go over and…”

“I think he went home. But it was okay, Daddy. I came in here to wait safely.”

Her dad took a deep breath. Although his face appeared somewhat calmer, anger still burned in his dark brown eyes.

“Smart thinking, Princess. I’m very glad you did.” He turned then and, shifting his daughter to one arm, held out his free hand to Anne. “I’m Brad Carmichael. Thank you very much for letting Jennie come inside to wait… and for calling me.”

She shook the outstretched hand and introduced herself. “I’m Anne Brown, and you’re entirely welcome. Your daughter was no trouble at all.”

“Nonetheless, it was very kind of you,” he said then reached for Jennie’s backpack. “I can see you’re busy, so we’ll get out of your hair now.”

“Bye, Miss Anne,” Jennie said from her perch in her dad’s arm.

“Thanks again,” he called before heading into the night.

Anne nodded and stifled a desire to sigh. Brad Carmichael wasn’t movie-star handsome, but he had such beautiful, warm brown eyes. More importantly, she could tell he cared about his little girl. His concern for her made him far more attractive in Anne’s opinion than mere good looks. Although he was awfully cute with his hair all tousled and disarrayed.

“Anne, do you have more of this interfacing? I think I’m going to need it for my appliqués.”

Setting aside her musing, the young clerk hurried to help her customer. Pining for something she couldn’t have was nothing but a waste of time, a daydream. The Stitching Post and its customers were her reality.

 


 

 
 

4 comments: