Pages

Monique O'Connor James - The Keepers

Publisher: Astraea Press

ISBN: 978-1-936852-34-5

My rating: n/a

Jess denies God. In his infinite wisdom, He’s taken everyone she’s ever loved. Moving to the French Quarter was a ploy to erase the guilt she felt for rebuking her faith. Perhaps, if she hadn’t met Justin, an angel preoccupied with getting back into God’s good graces, and drowning in his hatred for humanity, her plan would have worked.
Justin’s general disdain for the human race makes him difficult to like, but some higher power has appointed him her keeper. Justin’s convinced he can mend her broken relationship with her maker, but in the process he learns a thing or two about his own humanity.
Never mind falling in love, that’s not supposed to happen. In fact, it may even be forbidden. Jess just wants Justin to understand her plight, and he wants to protect her from a world she doesn’t know.
If neither are equipped to save the other, then whose soul will live and whose will perish?
(www.astraeapress.com)


My thoughts

One of the first lines you read when starting this book is that Monique O'Connor James dedicated that book to her late mother. And I have to tell you once you've read well into the story you have a feeling where Jess' (the main character) raw emotions come from ... the author.

For me this one was a risky choice - a paranormal story has to be beyond good for me to keep reading. I liked the idea. Jess' mother died and her faith in God is shaky. Then she meets Justin ...

OK, this book was so not my cup of tea (hence no rating, because that would've been unfair)  I had to put the book aside a couple of times. Not only because of the emotions and the food for thought they gave, but the constant fights between the two main characters were tiring. The discussions between them about faith, love, guilt and all those issues deserve a book over 200 pages, but at some stage I felt it was too much. And I couldn't really figure out between all their fights what made Jess so special to Justin for him to fall in love with her. Other issues I had was that the main character Jess was either sleeping, in bed or in the bathroom, other descriptions didn't make it clear enough for me to have an imaginary picture of the scene which made it even harder to follower the storyline.

The ending got me sucked in then. The dialogue and action with Dawson were fast paced and interesting, but the last pages were disappointing in a sense of leaving quite a few minor questions for me.

I know Monique O'Connor is a very talented writer and having said (or written) all this doesn't say it's not worthwhile reading. Paranormal is not my thing, but I was curious because I liked the blurb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment