Pages

Marian Keyes - This Charming Man

Publisher: Penguin Books

ISBN: 9780141026756

My rating: 2/5

Everybody remembers where they were the day they heard that Paddy de Courcy was getting married’ But for four women in particular, the big news about the charismatic politician is especially momentous … Stylist Lola has every reason to be interested in who Paddy’s marrying – because although she’s his girlfriend, she definitely isn’t the bride-to-be. Heartbroken, she flees the city for a cottage by the sea. But will Lola’s retreat prove as idyllic as she hopes? … Not if journalist Grace has anything to do with it. She wants the inside story on the de Courcy engagement and thinks Lola holds the key. Grace’s sister, Marnie, might be able to help but she’s too busy holding her perfect life – perfect husband, perfect children, perfect house – together. And what of the soon to be Mrs de Courcy … Alicia will has waited a long time for this and is determined to be the perfect politician’s wife. But does she know the real Paddy de Courcy? Four very different women. One awfully charming man. And the dark secret that binds them all … (MarianKeyes.com)


My thoughts

Honestly, this book didn't rock my world. I remember reading "Anybody out there" and I was in tears.

We get to know four women, all of them somehow know Paddy De Courcy who has just announced his engagement. We learn their stories, their ups and downs, and how their life's been affected by Paddy.

The first, I don't know, 100 pages were horrible. H-o-r-r-i-b-l-e. It was Lola's story and as much as I liked her story, I skipped most of her's because of the Diary/Blog like writing style. But honestly I've never seen anything like it. I was close to just giving up.

However, I did persist and it kind of got better. The writing style. The story got a touch more interesting, but I've got to say it wasn't a page-turner. Not at all.  Reading through the other women's stories, the backstories, their troubles, fears and emotions made it somewhat interesting. Personally I think it could've been a great book if perhaps there had been one or two less stories, and more depth into the rest of them ... and better grammar for the blog, but that goes without saying, I suppose.

Emotional ride in the end, but not enough for me to say, "hey, great read!".

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting how we all see different things in a book, isn't it? I really enjoyed This Charming Man, although it's a while since I read it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Suzie. I think the writing killed a lot of my interest. A shame, cause I think it could've been (IMHO!!!) a very good book.

      Delete